Great renovation of Primary School No. 1
In a year time, Primary School No. 1 in Ostrów Wielkopolski will be as good as new! The school is now being renovated. PLN 11.5 million was allocated for comprehensive modernization and thermal modernization of the building.
- PLN 11.5 million - this is the cost of a thorough modernization of Primary School No. 1 in Ostrów. We are going to replace almost everything in the building. Only the walls will remain old. We also want to break architectural barriers, so the school will gain an elevator. We will also add photovoltaics, thanks to which the building will become energy efficient. The most important thing for us is the safety of students. The works are carried out in such a way that they do not affect the everyday classes of children and youth - says Beata Klimek, Mayor of Ostrów Wielkopolski.
- The modernization of Primary School No. 1 is a long-awaited investment. This is one of the largest schools in the city. The building needed wholesale refurbishing. The toilets in the building haven’t been renovated since I was a student. So this is already an indicator of how much this renovation was needed. It is a difficult investment, because it is carried out in parallel with student’s classes, but we carry out it with a proven partner - emphasizes Sebastian Górski, Mayor of Ostrów Wielkopolski.
The works in Primary School No. 1 includes: adaptation of the building to current sanitary and fire safety requirements, construction of an elevator and adaptation of the facility for the disabled. The works also include thermal modernization, replacement of parts of the installation and renovation works. The task is to be completed within 12 months.
The investment is being carried out by NAT-BUD Zbigniew Warga company from Ostrów, the winner of the tender.
- We started the renovation of Primary School No. 1 from the right part of the building. At the moment, the walls of the old toilets are being demolished, the wall and floor coverings are being removed. In the next steps we are going to move move on to the modernization of the gymnasium. New rooms will be built here, and the building will be adapted to fire regulations. The layout of the cloakrooms and toilets will also change - explains Zbigniew Warga, the executor of works.
There are 532 students in Primary School No. 1. What do they think about the refurbishment?
- The renovation will change the colours of our school. This will make us more likely to come here. Work does not hinder our learning to a significant extent, physical education lessons are a bit shorter, but it is one of the minor problems - says Borys, a student of class 7a.
- Thanks to the renovation, the school will gain new colours. I think that this change is going to be very positive. The investment makes lessons a bit more difficult, but it is possible to survive - points out Wiktoria from class 8d.
The renovation of the Primary School No. 1 is one of the tasks of the Great City Development Program until 2023.
The investment is implemented thanks to co-financing from the EEA Financial Mechanism 2014-2021 and the state budget under the Local Development Program as one of the investments of the "E-Ostrów 2050 - Ecological, Energy, Economic City" project.